segunda-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2015

On The Theory of Everything (the movie...)

Movie review of The Theory of Everything by Eric Poisson | CQG+:

I share my colleague's E Poisson appraisal. Namely, the following paragraph:

While the movie does well with its depiction of Stephen’s personal life, I am disappointed with its failure to present him as an active scientist. I can understand that a mass audience will be much more interested in the personal details, but given that the main character is the most famous scientist of our times, I expected to see more of the scientist. I wanted to see Stephen struggle with equations, discuss with colleagues, mentor graduate students. There is almost none of this in the movie: Stephen never does any work, and seems to arrive at his pronouncements through divine illumination. This incomplete portrayal can strongly mislead the audience; science is not done this way, even by a genius.





And as E Poisson writes:

... I still recommend the movie. I may not have learned any science from it, I may not even have learned much new about Stephen’s life, but I was moved by Eddie Redmayne’s superb performance.

'via Blog this' The Honourable Schoolboy

Sem comentários: